Friday, June 15, 2007

Jerusalem is Israel's capital

I hate the BBC. I hate them for refusing to use the word terrorist. (except for when it comes to describing the perpetrators of the bombs in front of the BBC buildings in London in March 2001).

Richard Sambrook, director of BBC News, said security had been stepped up, and the need for further precautions was being reviewed.
...
Terrorist attacks on the media were rare and so the bomb marked a significant change, he said.


I hate them for the way in their headlines Palestinians always get killed by Israeli soldiers (active use of a verb), but Israelis just simply die (passive use of the verb, even if they were brutally killed by a suicide bomber). I hate them for failing to see that Gilad Shalit's family is suffering the same pain as Alan Johnston's. (Though this isn't true either... Alan's family got proof that he's alive... We're still waiting for a peep from Gilad).

Now what do I see on JPost? BBC sorry for calling Jerusalem capital of Israel

The BBC apologized this week for referring to Jerusalem as Israel's capital, and promised not to repeat "the mistake," following a complaint by four British organizations.

Arab Media Watch, Muslim Public Affairs Committee, Friends of Al-Aksa and the Institute of Islamic Political Thought sent a joint complaint to the BBC after a presenter on its Football Focus program on March 24 mentioned that Jerusalem was Israel's capital and "historic soul."


I'm sorry, but am I missing a piece of history here? Was Jerusalem ever any other country's capital?
Steel added: "I'd like to add my apologies for this most regrettable, but I'm sure accidental, factual mistake. I appreciate that the status of Jerusalem is of particular concern to Palestinians, and it is important that it is not misrepresented. I am confident that lessons have already been learned, and they will be emphasized as a result of my decision."

Again, I'm thrilled that you realize the status of Jerusalem is of particular concern to Palestinians, but then again so is the status of suicide bombers and Kassam rockets. Just because it's a particular concern of theirs doesn't make it right. On the other hand, while before 1967 Jews were forbidden to enter the old city of Jerusalem (which belonged to Jordan, and we didn't hear any "Palestinians" complain about that), ever since Jerusalem is entirely in the hands of Israel, it is open to all religions of the world.
Does the Beeb care that the status of Jerusalem is also of particular concern to Israelis?

By the way, I truly "admire" the IQ level any organization with the name 'Al-Aqsa'. I went to their website, I guess it's http://www.aqsa.org.uk/. (No, they're not getting a direct link from me, even if I only have two and a half readers) (Hi Mom). They, like every other organization with the name 'Al-Aqsa' proudly show images of what they believe to be Al-Aqsa, that big mosque in Jerusalem with the shiny golden dome.

Well they're wrong.

The golden mosque is the Dome of the Rock. Masjid Qubbat As-Sakhrah. The Al-Aqsa mosque is the southern congregational mosque that is part of the complex of religious buildings Al-Haram al-Qudsi al-Sharif (the Noble Sanctuary). It's the small one with the Black/Dark Grey dome. On the picture, number 1 is Al-Aqsa, number 5 is the Dome of the Rock. I wonder how many of the "cool kids wearing the Arafat-Dishrag" know this.

2 comments:

Mr Bagel said...

Nice writing Moishe.

The BBC reports through rose colored glasses, the west is always portrayed in a negative light, Islamic countries are portrayed in a positive or at least non negative light.

It's really quite sad that the significant investments the BBC has put into reporting and publishing for the Middle East are the real reason they're so willing to tip toe around egg shells.

Aaron
Visit: Mr Bagel

Jeremy Jacobs said...

"The BBC reports through rose colored glasses,"

No. It reports through Arabeyes